Sunday, March 26, 2017

To Push An Agenda, or Be Good? That is the Question!

Star Trek, Science Fiction, Scifi

For far too long, Science Fiction as a genre has been sinking into a realm where it puts agenda above entertainment. Only recently, has there been any sort of push back. There needs to be more push back.

If  Star Trek: Discovery's primary goal is to push a Social Justice agenda, oh and take the inevitable, not so veiled jab at President Trump, its going to fail, even as it will continually to be propped up by its Hollywood backers.

Before I go on, I should mention, I actually enjoy the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, and I found the last movie, Beyond highly entertaining.

Pushing agendas, is what made much of modern Star Trek unwatchable. Seldom could TNG just touch on a topic without resorting to lecturing about it. This was a particular issue when Gene Roddenberry was still in charge. DS9, was in many ways, more even keeled and concerned with telling its story then lecturing and off the top of my head I can't think of any episode that annoyed me. Whereas just to pull a TNG title out of the air, 'Who Watches the Watchers' is a particularly annoying episode, tied perhaps by 'The Neutral Zone' for its condescending lecturing.

Ah. I was gonna talk about TOR Books, and Vox Day, and John Scalzi. But I think I'll leave this post here, as it is now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Home: Shaitanshammer BBS

Shaitanshammer BBS